Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?

In my case it is 'what does your garden grow'? I was so excited to get to plant a garden this year. Dad came over and plowed and disced my spot for me. I got a notebook and plotted out my rows and just what I was going to plant and where. After fertilizing & mulching I ran to the store and got my plants and seeds. We got it all planted and started watering and waiting. Soon we were seeing little sprouts coming up all over and we were excited. They started producing, and I got puzzled. Two of my red bell peppers only turned red after they started shriveling up. The other ones grew long and don't look like a bell pepper, but they do taste good. What was labeled as an Anaheim hot pepper turned out to be short, red peppers that aren't hot at all. The cucumbers were supposed to be picklers but ended up slicers instead, but we enjoyed them in vinegar. My pumpkins are orange but they look more like a squash than a pumpkin, they have this 'belly button' looking thing on the end instead of going in so you can set the pumpkin up. Dad gave me some seed for some buttercup squash that he loves, but that is not what we grew. Some of them look like they might be the buttercup, but others look like maybe a cross between a buttercup and a banana squash. I even have one that looks like a banana squash. So who knows what they will taste like. I don't even like squash, but I have a whole bunch of huge ones. And talk about huge, one thing I did grow big was a huge garden spider- yuck! Even though I didn't grow what I thought I was planting, I still enjoyed growing it. One day when I took some fresh produce to share with my neighbor he said, "you put all this hard work into growing this and you are just giving it away for free and not getting paid for your work". But I just smiled and said that I did get paid for it because I love gardening and it is so fun for me to get out and be in my garden. It is very calming, satisfying, and mentally refreshing for me to play in the dirt. And even though it didn't all turn out like I thought, we just set and laughed and waited to see what was going to grow next!

3 comments:

Shea & Yvette Flake said...

Hey Tana, Love the blog! I am so glad I found it. Love the garden post so cute. Your kids are gettting so big. It is good to see what you and your family is doing. Yvette

Alisa said...

So funny, I'm right there with you. The last couple of years I have really enjoyed playing in the dirt, oops I mean gardening. I don't ever know how it is going to turn out, but it is rewarding.

Hulse said...

Ya know my garden results look like aliens too! It's all about that saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" cause we think they taste just great! And if not, I make 'em eat it anyway, just to not waste all that work, right! Your garden looked beautiful and your pics made me a little homesick! I miss everybody up there-tell them all hi!