Tuesday, June 9, 2009

AAAHHHH MAN!

I'm not really sure where to start this story. I guess I will start with Saul's trail camera. I have blogged before about Saul going out and setting up his trail camera to see where all the big deer and elk are. He goes out several months before the hunt and sets up a salt lick in front of his camera. Then he goes back in and gets out the flash card to see just what all came in. So last year he went out to retrieve the card and see what all is coming in. First thing he saw were some 'REALLY BIG' deer tracks. He was so excited and couldn't wait to get back to see the buck that left them. Well, when he got back and we put it into my card reader on my computer, it came up with an 'ERROR' reading on it. TOTAL BUMMER!! He has just been sick about it and wants a new camera and just can't believe that he didn't get a picture of this monster!!! (Can you feel the sarcasm? I don't mean to, I really do care about all his hunting adventures) So, for the last year I have listened to all the whining and moaning about this camera.
Well about a month ago my computer crashed. I took it in to the Hensley boys at Computer Technologies. They were awesome and got my computer all lined out...and it wasn't easy. They even came to my house and helped work out a few last minute bugs...not that they didn't fix it, I was just trying to get everything loaded back on and didn't know what I was doing. If any of you have computer problems, I highly recommend these guys- they did awesome. Anyway, when they were here Saul brought out his card and camera and told them his troubling story. Being hunting enthusiasts themselves, they were all to eager to take the card and see what they could do with it. Nate had the card for several weeks trying to retrieve the pictures. He ended up having to take the card apart and I don't know what he did after that...I didn't know you could take them apart. Anyway, somehow he got some pictures off of it.
So now here's the fun part of the story. The other morning Nate showed up at my door, big smile on his face, wanting to talk to Saul. Saul had already left for work, but after seeing the smile on his face I knew what he was here about. I asked him if he got some pictures off the card. He told me to just tell Saul to call him. But I could tell it was something good. He then told me not to tell Saul, but that he was able to get the pictures and that there were some good ones. So, I called Saul and told him that Nate had stopped by. He got all excited and said, "he must of got some good pictures off of my card." Since I had told Nate I wouldn't tell him (and wanting to have a little fun myself), I told him that when I asked Nate if he got pictures he just said to have Saul call him (it wasn't a lie, that is what happened). Saul just got sad and said, "oh, that doesn't sound like he got much off of it then." I will admit, I hung up giggling.
Later that night I ran into Nate and Brandon at the YW softball games. They asked me why Saul hadn't called. I told them how my conversation went and they just laughed. Then they told me about these huge bucks and the bears and elk that they got pictures of. They told me how that whole day they just set and watched the mini-videos and looked at the pictures that they got from the card. When Saul got home I asked him if he had called Nate. He just got this sad face and said that he just had such hopes of him getting a big picture and that he just wasn't that excited to call and find out that Nate couldn't retrieve anything. I just laughed and told him that Nate had got some pictures off it and he needed to call him. I didn't tell him any details about the pics, just that Nate had got some. One of the conditions that Nate set was that if he got the pics of a big buck, Saul had to tell him where it is. Now if you know anything about the hunting code...this is a big deal! Saul called David to ask him what he should do if Nate still wanted to know where it is. It is my families old hunting grounds...that old family secret! David told him to tell Nate that they wouldn't tell him just where it is, but that they would take him in there with them. Not sure what the difference is there, but I guess there is one. All that night Saul tossed and turned and just couldn't sleep. I woke up about 2:30 am to a big sigh from him and asked him why he wasn't sleeping. He said he was just to excited about the pictures to sleep. First thing in the morning David called asking if he had seen the pics yet and said that he just couldn't wait either. That day Nate brought over the disc with the pics and we watched them. Here's the 'AAAHHHH MAN' part. The pics of the bucks they were all excited about were some that we had already seen before. They were good pics and we got excited about them the first time we saw them too. But it wasn't the 'BIG' buck. There were some new pics that they got off of it...some of elk, a bear that climbed up and was licking the camera (yes, licking), and some of Saul looking at the huge tracks left by the big buck. But no new big bucks. Are you starting to get the same feeling I am...it's kinda like the big fish that got away!? Now we have the mystery ghost buck...lol. Well, Saul is still wanting a new camera and is planning another trip in to set it all up again. The deer permits are in and now we just have to wait and see who gets drawn. No, I didn't put in this year. I prefer to stay home and scrap all the pictures and excitement that they have. Hard to believe, I know. The excitement of finding this big buck still looms in our house. I am just wondering...what wall is he gonna want to hang it on when he gets it?

1 comment:

Hulse said...

I read that entire story controlling the urge to scroll down and look at those awesome pics without having to read all the way down, but there were none. I feel for you Saul. Wish I could go camping again I mean hunting, I mean sitting in the dirt cramped in a dugout on the side of a hill again, I mean listen to you try to blast some little fox, i mean just have some fun. Miss you guys.