Friday, October 23, 2009

THE MOST AMAZING FAMILY AND FRIENDS!

I just had an amazing experience the other day and thought that I would share. It's not that what happened was amazing, it was how things worked that was amazing!
Saul has been working up in Salt Lake for over a month now. He was up there for 2 weeks, came home for a week and has been back up there for almost 3 weeks now. We really miss him and can't wait for him to be home. And since he has been up there, the kids and I have had a bout with the flu. The kids bounced in a few days, but I was in bed for a week straight. I was going so stir crazy and thinking of everything that I needed to get done...garden cleaned up, dead flowers cut, spring bulbs planted, canning apples, canning potatoes, finishing my tomatoes...! It was really hard for me to be down in bed and to be missing Saul also. I finally got feeling better on Tuesday, so I got Justin to go up and help pick apples at Nellie's so I could start canning them. Derrik Palmer and Dillon also helped, and we got them all picked in pretty good time. Then Justin & I took mom and went to see "WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE", then went for pizza and ice cream. I was loving feeling better. The next morning I woke up at 5:00 am with a sore throat, so I got up to get some Tylenol cold or something to help it. I was thinking..."you have got to be kidding me, I was feeling better!" I couldn't find any meds in the closet where I usually keep them, so I thought I would look in the drawer of my night stand next to my bed. As I opened the drawer, I kinda pivoted and went to set on the edge of my bed. As I did, I felt and heard the loudest POP in my lower back. I just fell to the floor and blacked out in pain! I just laid on the floor, not knowing what to do...the pain was soooo bad. After several minutes of laying there crying, I somehow managed to pull myself onto my bed. I could not use my legs at all without sharp pain radiating through my body! It was too early to call anyone for help, so I just laid there and cried for about an hour. I figured I would use my cell phone to call my home phone to wake Justin up at 6:30. (Ariel is also gone to Indiana on an FFA trip) Justin woke up himself at 6:15, so I hollered out to him to come help me. I was crying and still couldn't hardly even move...he was pretty freaked out. As I laid there I thought about who I could call to come give me a blessing...with Saul gone, I would have to call someone. I knew that David had to be to work about 7:00. Mom & Dad were going to leave about 7:00 to go to a funeral in Ramah, NM. I didn't know for sure what Dennis was doing, but I figured he was my best bet. I called him, sobbing, and he said he would be over in a few minutes. Well, he called my dad, who came on over to help give me a blessing. I felt bad because I knew he would be late for the funeral, if he would make it at all. But they came and comforted and gave me a priesthood blessing. Dennis is the one that gave the blessing, and I was hoping that he would say..."arise and walk, you are healed." But it just doesn't quite work that way...not that it can't, it just usually doesn't. :) He told me that I needed to rest for a few more days and to be patient, and I needed to ask others to help with what I needed. It was a nice blessing and even though it didn't say just what I wanted to hear, I knew it was what I needed to hear. Well, Justin went off to school, Mom & Dad still headed for Ramah, and Dennis left for work. Dennis said to call Audrey and she could take me to the Dr. or get me whatever I need. That is one of my biggest weaknesses...to ask for help...I hate it. I called Saul, who freaked out, not being able to be here to help me. Then, I got a phone call from my dear friend, Carol Palmer. She had called me several times while I was sick earlier, and we had talked quite a lot the day before. I figured that since she thought I was feeling better from the flu, she wouldn't call me. But she called and said..."I just had a feeling that I needed to call and check up on you." Amazing! I started crying again and told her what happened. She said that she was just going to call the chiropractor to see if she could get in and she would just see if I could get in also. So, she came and picked me up and off we went...and what a pair we were. Her with her neck pain, pneumonia, and arthritis, and me with my back...we hobbled in together. At least by then the pain had dulled a little and I was able to walk on my own. I got back home, went back to bed and just cried some more. It seemed like everybody...friends and family started calling me. None of them knew what had happened...they were just calling to see how I was doing. And as I cried to each one of them, I felt so comforted. Even though I was in a lot of pain and was not happy at all about my situation, I truly felt the spirit close to me that day and knew that my Heavenly Father was watching over me! And I was feeling so grateful for the great family and friends that I have! I am thankful that with Saul gone, I knew that I had several options of who I could call to help me...even though I hate doing so.
And yes, somehow my parents still made it to the funeral on time. That made me feel better also.

3 comments:

La Rae said...

Hope you are feeling better dear. *hugs*

La Rae

beau.shaunalee said...

Oh Tana! I hope that you are feeling better!! It IS amazing the circle of support that surrounds us without our really knowing it...until its needed. You are amazing! Its so hard for me to ask for help too. miss ya.

Mom and Pop Reed said...

Tana--you need to keep blogging! I love your reflections, your pictures and the beautiful outlook you have on life. Despite your trials, you keep your head up and keep finding joy in the simple things like you always have. It blesses my life to have you as a friend. Have a sweet Christmas as the Savior's love tries to envelop you.