Monday, December 29, 2008

THE ONLY THING MISSING WAS THE SNOW!

With the kids getting older, I kind of expected Christmas to start loosing some of it's excitement. With all of my brothers and sisters coming and going at different times throughout the holidays, I have been pretty exhausted trying to keep on top of things. My mom has been stressing about just what she is going to do with everyone; I think it is more that she feels helpless in seeing that everything is taken care of. She has waited on us all for so many years and it is hard for her not to be able to do much now. I told her to just set back and enjoy everyone and let us take care of things. So along with getting my house decorated, neighbor & VT/HT goodies delivered, shopping done, and presents wrapped- I also had all of that to do for her. But with the help of my kids and Saul, we buckled down and got things done. Sue came the Monday before Christmas and also helped a lot. We had fun and after a few late night trips to WalMart, we finished just in time.
What is Christmas without a few traditions? In our family, since Karlie's birthday is on Christmas day, we have a little party Christmas Eve for her. Even though she isn't always around, we still have a Christmas Eve party. The usual menu is- finger sandwhiches (cheese & pimento on one half and chicken salad on the other), chips & dip, cheese ball & crackers, veggies & dip, and a virgin mint julep punch. I love it all and it is just Christmas to me. But after 18 years of marriage, I still haven't convinced Saul and the kids that it is good stuff! I make it every year whether we are in Taylor or not. They like it all but the sandwiches- which is actually my favorite. Maybe I will have to start offering another option. Anyway, Benda & Barry made it just in time for the 'party' and we ate up.
Another tradition is going to look at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. We did it growing up, singing carols at the top of our lungs. So it is something I have done with my own kids. But with my kids getting older and not having any little ones there this year, I wasn't sure we would go. But as it started getting later, Justin announced that it was now time to go look at the lights so that he could get to bed before midnight. I must admit I was a little surprised. But we all headed out, singing carols and oohing and awing. It didn't seem like there were as many this year, but we still found some pretty ones.
We got in bed just around midnight and got up to Justin knocking on our door at 7:00 to open presents. The excitement and Christmas spirit was still there and Santa was a hit with the gifts he left. It was a little smaller this year- not quite as many gifts under the tree, but now that they are older they are more expensive. I must admit, it isn't nearly as fun buying ipods and electronics as it was buying dolls and trucks.
Another tradition is Christmas breakfast. Growing up we would have breakfast with all of my Rogers cousins, rotating whose house it was at. But after that got to big and they stopped doing it, we just do it with our family. The menu is always ham, hashbrowns, eggs, biscuits, OJ and hot chocolate. YUM! David and Dennis both joined us and brought all their little kids- there's the dolls and trucks that were missing! We all just hung out, the kids played with their toys, and we all enjoyed the excitement. Later that day we had a turkey feast with all of the fixin's.
It was another great Christmas. The only thing missing was the snow!

2 comments:

Hulse said...

It's good to hear you guys are alive and still kicken'! How's the ward? scrapbooking? It's weird, but you guys are one family IO feel we didn't leave....I guess because of all the ties you have here....you need to call us when you come up, we'll do dinner! 435-787-1814
Love ya!

Mom and Pop Reed said...

Oooh! I wish I had seen your tree in person. I loved it! I love "decorator" trees. One of these years I'm going to have one just for fun AND our regular sentimental one. Silver and blue, so pretty!